I'm hoping this blog helps us not only support one another in our crazy attempts to defy the aging process, but serves as a way to really connect with each other. We are all in so many different places; both literally and figuratively. My hope is that those things become irrelevant as we discuss our hopes, dreams, set backs and progresses not just with our training, but with life, husbands (both x and future), boyfriends, children, school and work. We are a wonderful, powerful group of women and we need each other. At least I know I need all of you. Just think of all we can accomplish together! I'm so excited!

Friday, July 6, 2007

The Color Purple

Okay so Dustin makes fun of the things that I record on our DVR because they aren't Ultimate Fighting or Man vs. Wild, which I will add are both shows that I like. I record fun stuff like Love vs. Age or So you think you can dance, you know the important stuff. BUT I recorded the movie The Color Purple the other day and I finally got to watch it tonight and I must say it is really one of my favorite movies I think. I don't know if anyone has seen it but I would highly recommend it. It made me miss my sisters so much and it really made me remember how strong our bond is as sisters. I love all of you so much, I really do and since Jeff might be reading this because apparently he has a secret wish to be a Francis Female (just kidding Jeff I love that you added something) you are included in this as well and I really mean that. The main character has a hard time standing up for herself and she is treated in the cruelest ways possible including being ripped away from her only sister and the only person that she loves and loves her. Her sister is the only person that you see her happy with for most of the movie and the only person that you see she feels comfortable with be herself. She is kept away from her sister for almost thirty years not even to receive a letter. Her sister continued to write for all those years but her SEVERELY abusive husband kept all the letters from her. She finally has the nerve after like twenty years or something with the help of a friend to look for the letters and find the letters that her sister wrote to her. She finds tons and tons of letters and begins reading them over the next month or so. It is amazing what happens to her. She finds herself and her voice, and she is able to stand up to her husband and leave him. Eventually her sister and she are reunited and believe me I was balling like a baby. BUT I couldn't help but think about how I related to the story. Of course there are huge differences in my life and the life of an abused southern black girl almost a hundred years ago, but the feelings that she has for her sister is the same way I feel about you all. All I want is to be near you guys and to have you close. I really feel like you are the people that truely understand me and that I feel completely safe with to be myself. You all give me the strength to be a strong woman. I don't know what I would do if I were barred from drawing on that strength. I love watching your lives and hearing your funny stories and knowing that we come from the same place. I think that her sisters letters and her life and the things that she was experiencing and living gave her the courage to live the way that she wanted to as well. This is how I feel. I watch all your lives and the choices that you all make that impress me and make me proud and I feel like I can do those things as well because we are the same. I know this was a random post but I just wanted to let you all know how much I love you. Go rent The Color Purple, Oprah is really good in it too, you forget that it is even her.

3 comments:

Alli said...

i'm definatly going to rent it. maybe i'll put it as my next movie to come from blockbuster online. tanner i'm sure will just LOVE that... yeah.

Castiel Moyes said...

It's definately a guy movie. Dustin sat and watched it with me and just cried like a baby because he really really likes movies like this.

Hatchgirls1 said...

Jess, you are the wind beneath my wings! One of my very favorite people on this planet with me... and not just because you're my sis, but because you're YOU. I love you too! I often feel like you were a gift to me as a sister because even though I'm older, I watch you and learn soooo much from your example. Hurry and get better so I can see you. I hope it is strep - never thought I'd say that to someone! I'm totally going to rent it!

Slow and Steady FINISHES the Race