I'm hoping this blog helps us not only support one another in our crazy attempts to defy the aging process, but serves as a way to really connect with each other. We are all in so many different places; both literally and figuratively. My hope is that those things become irrelevant as we discuss our hopes, dreams, set backs and progresses not just with our training, but with life, husbands (both x and future), boyfriends, children, school and work. We are a wonderful, powerful group of women and we need each other. At least I know I need all of you. Just think of all we can accomplish together! I'm so excited!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Eat, Drink and be "Marry"

marry. adj: to act "as if" one is a marathoner, never giving up because "it doesn't matter"

After reading your blog Jess, I hesitated to write about my 8 miler on Saturday... but, maybe it will give you a little inspiration! I HAD THE BEST RUN OF THE TRAINING SO FAR!!!! It was awesome! I never felt out of breath, just my ancient 32 year old hips were bothering me. (just a side note... I wonder how much bearing children naturally ages our hips?!) But it really was no big deal - just invited the pain to run with me and it actually made me feel not so alone! After talking with you and reading your blog, I realized what I did right and you did WRONG!

1. Fuel - gives us energy - even if we don't feel like eating, our bodies need it to run an unnatural distance like 8 miles! I went to a mexican restaurant that night and ate a lot of carbs, some protien, and no dairy (dairy expands and will slow us down!) Did not gorge myself, but definately got my fill!

2. Hydration - I guess we are supposed to be weighing ourselves before we run and then right after so we know how much water to rehydrate with! I say though, drinking until your pee is clear is the best indication one is properly hydrated. Hydration also helps with pain. It helps to lube everything up.

3. Rest - there is a reason we don't run the day before or the day after. It is NOT NORMAL for us to run such long distances and if we want to accomplish this, we need to remember to do EVERYTHING it says in the book! IT says to really relax the day of before you run also. That means no running around coaching AND reffing soccer - you may have to run on a Sunday until soccer ends!

I love you guys! We have a big week this week! Did you ever think you'd hear yourself say on a run... "oh good, I only have 3 miles left!" We are sooo awesome!

1 comment:

Alli said...

awesome job! i actually did my 8 mile run on monday morning, and it felt great. the last mile killed me though because i decided to do the last mile outside.... bad idea becuase it was like 115 degrees outside. but seriously, it was crazy saying to myself... yes! only 3 more miles!

Slow and Steady FINISHES the Race